Low carb, southwestern chicken salad stuffed avocados are a big fresh bite of Tex-Mex flavor! Luxuriously rich, ripe avocados are filled with a spicy, southwestern seasoned combination of chicken breast, tomato, jalapeno, and cilantro in a light mayo mixture. This recipe is full of healthy fats, saturated with bright flavor, and a nice jolt of protein. It’s just one of the many awesome recipes in Carolyn Ketchum’s new cookbook, Easy Keto Dinners. I was given permission to use the recipe and provided with this book gratis for review – all opinions are my own.
For this recipe you’ll need: avocado, chicken breast or rotisserie chicken, tomatoes (I used Ro*Tel), fresh cilantro, limes, mayonnaise, chipotle powder, cheese
I recieved Easy Keto Dinners in the mail just as I was getting ready to leave for a conference. When I got back it was a rush to get ready for Easter. Then my birthday. I’m totally sure that Carolyn figured I’d taken the book and run.
If you’ve been low-carbing very long you’ve no doubt been to All Day I Dream About Food, Carolyn’s site. She is probably the number one low carb blogger on the Internet with imaginative dishes that actually taste good and gorgeous photography. This is her second book and it is every bit as good as the first one, Every Day Ketogenic Kitchen (Check out the pecan shortbread recipe!). It’s filled with tips and shortcuts to make dinner a breeze on those crazy busy weeknights when you are looking longingly at the takeout pizza your kids are scarfing down.
I loved it. There are so many possibilities in it that I just paged through it over and over. AND, it was easy to make substitutions for things I didn’t use, like I did in this southwestern chicken salad recipe.
Cook’s Notes: Low Carb Southwestern Chicken Salad Stuffed Avocados
This was a super easy recipe that is perfect for me when I am swamped with projects at work. It goes together in just 10 minutes, and actually much less if you start with cooked chicken.
- Make sure the avocado is ripe. It should yield to firm, gentle pressure.
- I used a crumbly Mexican cheese to keep it more authentically southwestern but Cheddar is good, too.
- I don’t generally use rotisserie chicken so I seasoned chicken breast with a spicy Creole seasoning and then sauteed it. You could also use chicken that you had cooked and prepped ahead of time.
- To get the most juice out of fresh limes roll them on the counter or microwave a second or three before cutting.
- The southwestern chicken salad could be made ahead of time and stored in airtight containers in the fridge.
Step by Step Images for Southwestern Chicken Salad
Sometimes you just need a few little visuals to get the full meaning, right? This easy keto recipe is pretty straight forward. Just make sure that your avocados are ripe but not over-ripe.
- If you are using raw chicken breast like I did cut in in small, bite sized pieces and season it.
- Heat oil in a heavy frying pan and saute until done (165F interior temp), about 5 minutes or so.
- Chop fresh cilantro very small.
- Hollow out an avocado, leaving 1/2-inch of flesh.
- Brush with lime juice to keep it from going brown.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix all the ingredients and spoon into the avocado halves.
You May Need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of Lowcarb-ology!
I loved Easy Keto Dinners! It has exactly what I need to keep myself on track during the busiest of times.
Low Carb Southwestern Chicken Salad Stuffed Avocados Recipe
You’ll especially love this quick and easy, low carb recipe for the busy summer months! The fresh flavors and simple ingredients make it just right for those days when it’s just too hot to cook. If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars!
Low carb, southwestern chicken salad stuffed avocados are a big, fresh bite of Tex-Mex flavor! This recipe takes just 5 minutes -- perfect for busy summer days when it's just too hot to cook!
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup rotisserie chicken, chopped ( I used 8-ounces of chicken breast that I cooked)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, fresh and chopped fine
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes, I used canned - Ro*Tel
- 1 tablespoon cheese, I used Queso Fresco
Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, and scoop out some of the avocado flesh, leaving a half-inch thick wall of avocado. Reserve the scooped out avocado.
Brush each half with lime juice and set aside.
Mix the chicken, mayo, remaining lime juice, cilantro, and chipotle powder.
Season with salt and pepper to taste -adjust the chipotle powder if you like it spicier.
Fold in the tomatoes.
Divide the salad between the two avocado shells, tamping down gently.
Sprinkle with cheese.
Cut 1/2-pound raw chicken breast into cubes and toss it with 1/2 teaspoon Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning (o carbs) and 1/4 teaspoon cumin.
Saute it in oil until the chicken is cooked through (165F).
Chop the reserved avocado.
Mix the reserved avocado, the lime juice, mayo, chipotle, Ro*Tel diced tomatoes with chiles, and cilantro.
Stir in the chicken.
Divide between the avocado shells and sprinkle with Queso Fresco or other Mexican cheese.
Carolyn's Nutrition Information was different than mine but I think it was the difference in the chicken being rotisserie in her recipe and raw in mine: Her nutrition info- cal-356 fat-29.2 protein-15.6 carbs 7.5 fiber 4.9
If you liked this easy southwestern chicken salad you may also like…
Click on the image to see the recipe. From left to right (all low carb): Chicken Shawarma, Chicken Enchilada Skillet, Chicken Alfredo
Still looking? You may like one of these recipes from some of my favorite blogs…
Chicken in Creamy Parmesan and Sun Dried Tomato Sauce from Closet Cooking – A quick, easy chicken dish in a creamy parmesan and sun dried tomato sauce.
Low Carb Sesame Chicken from Tasteaholics – When you’re craving Asian food this sesame chicken will hit the spot!