Salted caramel sweet rolls are an autumn treat for breakfast or brunch. sweet, chewy dough surrounds a cream cheese filling and is then topped with a thick, creamy salted caramel glaze. Best of all they’ve got just 3 net carbs each!
For this recipe you’ll need: Mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, eggs, sugar free salted caramel syrup ( I used Torani), hemp hearts, almond meal, granulated stevia, baking powder, salt, vanilla, cinnamon, sugar free butterscotch instant pudding powder, heavy creamJump to Recipe
Breakfast seems to be the most frustrating meal of all when it comes to staying on a low carb eating plan. Everyone I talk to wants more breakfast recipes and the complaint is always the same, I am SO tired of eggs!
I think it’s probably because so many of us grew up with sweetened breakfast cereals, donuts, pancakes, and other high carb items for the first meal of the day. It seems like we’ve been programmed to believe that breakfast is sweet and chewy and full of carbs – or sweet and crunchy and full of carbs. When that’s in your head it’s hard to enjoy eggs or even bacon without something like toast or a sweet roll on the side.
Then there’s the coffee break or mid-morning snack… or maybe mid-afternoon depending on how your day goes. Celery sticks alongside that cup of Earl Grey Cream tea just don’t do it for me. How about you? No?
Well, I’ve got you.
These salted caramel sweet rolls are good. Really good. They’re sweet with a chewy dough and a rich cheesecake filling in the center. Topped with a salted caramel glaze, these low carb sweet rolls are delicious with coffee OR Earl Grey Cream tea!
I know that I try to keep my recipes down to one or two servings but when it’s things like sweet rolls you almost have to make a batch. That’s ok — these salted caramel sweet rolls freeze very well!
Tips for Making Low Carb Sweet Rolls
Even if you are an experienced baker all bets are off when it comes to creating low carb baked goods. The flours respond differently, the sweetener responds differently… It can be a real headache. Here are some tips for making low carb salted caramel sweet rolls that will help ensure your “sweet” success!
- Let the batter sit for 10 minutes to absorb the dry ingredients. It will usually thicken up considerably.
- Taste the dough, the filling, and the glaze and don’t be afraid to add more sweetener if necessary. Different sweeteners respond differently in this recipe so taste taste before baking to make sure it’s sweet enough.
- The dough is really more like a super thick batter. You can’t knead it — you can only pat it into shape.
- If the dough seems like it’s spreading too much on the cookie sheet just scrape it back into the bowl and add a tablespoon or so more almond flour – or let it chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- When the sweet rolls are done baking the edge will feel spongy.
- Let them cool on the baking sheet before glazing or eating. They’ll firm up more as they cool.
You Might Need
The following are affiliate links. If you click through and buy something I will get a small commission used for keeping the blog up and running smoothly. Thank you for being a part of Lowcarb-ology!
A lot of people have asked me why the hemp seeds. Well, for one thing I find that the hemp seeds give a “bready” texture to baked goods. They add a little flavor but they are so high in fiber that there are very few carbs. I love the sugar free Torani syrups! They add flavor and sweetness without carbs! There are tons of different flavors and I’ve used them in everything from cheesecake crepes to cocktails.
Low Carb Salted Caramel Sweet Rolls Recipe
These sweet rolls are SO good. Chewy, sweet dough is definitely reminiscent of the “real thing”! Sweet salted caramel flavor and glaze balances the rich, tangy cheesecake filling and crunchy pecans.
Low Carb Salted Caramel Sweet Rolls
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar free salted caramel syrup , I used Torani
- 2 teaspoons sugar free instant pudding powder , butterscotch or vanilla
- 2 tablespoons pecans , chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Place a Silpat sheet on a heavy cookie sheet and set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients together and set aside,
- Place the cream cheese and the Mozzarella in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for about a minute, or until the cheese is soft enough to be stirred and blended.
- Stir in the sugar free salted caramel syrup.
- Make sure the cheese mixture is cool enough that you can put your finger into it without burning.
- Beat in the eggs until the whole thing is totally blended - this could take a minute or two.
- Stir in the dry ingredients to make a thick batter.
- Spoon six mounds of batter on the cookie sheet leaving room between them for spreading.
- Pat down to make a disk about 1/2 inch thick and make a slight indentation in the center.
- Mix the cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of sweetener together.
- Fill with a tablespoon of the filling and sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the dough is firm.
- Let cool.
- Use glaze to top the sweet rolls,
- Top with pecans, pressing them slightly into the glaze.
- Soften the cream cheese in the microwave.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Soften the cream cheese in the microwave.
- Whisk in the remaining ingredients.
- Use to top the sweet rolls.
If you liked these salted caramel sweet rolls you may also like…
Click on the image to see the recipe. From left to right: low carb cream cheese kolache, low carb cinnamon raisin bread, pumpkin spice scones, autumn spice scones