Low carb ice cream is sugar-free goodness anytime of the year but this Brown Butter Bourbon Pecan ice cream recipe has all the flavors of fall. Creamy and decadently satisfying, it’s a low carb treat that is a delicious way to end any meal. You’ll be surprised at how really easy it is to make, too!
For this recipe you’ll need: butter, swerve sweetener (or your favorite), sugar free English Toffee syrup (I used Torani), vanilla extract, salt, half and half cream, heavy cream, eggs, bourbon, pecans, an ice cream maker, a food safe airtight container for storage
Jump to Recipe
Late this summer I was blessed with the ice cream maker that would forever spoil me from wanting any other kind – more about that later. The point is that I went on an ice cream making rampage. While I was giving my family all of this luscious ice cream as I tested recipe after recipe never once took the time to create a low carb ice cream recipe for myself. Until now.
The other day I was gazing out of the window instead of working. I mean, the computer was in front of me an all but I was watching the leaves float down to the driveway and thinking about everything I love about autumn. Here in Texas we don’t have the vivid colors of some of the other states — at least not in the Dallas Fort Worth area. Still, autumn brings that gentle, golden light that seems to bathe everything in a warm glow. The weather cools down to a balmy 80 or 90 degrees and Farmer’s Market fills up with all kinds of yummy produce.
So I was thinking of autumn and autumn flavors when I realized I had not yet made myself any low carb ice cream. That’s how this brown butter bourbon pecan ice cream recipe came to be.
The brown butter enhances the nutty flavor of the pecans. The bourbon does two things in this recipe – it adds an amazing flavor and it keeps the ice cream from getting coarse, icy crystals in it.
Tips for Homemade Low Carb Ice Cream
This low carb ice cream recipe is easy but there are a few tips you can follow to make it even easier!
- Use the good bourbon! The flavor of the ice cream is directly related to the flavor of the bourbon you use. If you don’t like bourbon then this is not the ice cream for you.
- Toast the pecans and let them cool before adding them to the partially frozen ice cream.
- For a lighter, less dense ice cream whip half of the heavy cream and fold it in to the cooled custard before adding to the ice cream maker.
- Let the custard completely cool before adding it to the ice cream freezer. If possible, cover it and refrigerate overnight for the best results.
- Homemade ice cream will keep in the freezer for up to a week but no more than that.
You Might Need…
The following are affiliate links. If you click through and buy something I will get a small commission used for keeping the blog up and running smoothly. Thank you for being a part of Lowcarb-ology!
An ice cream maker. You can probably freeze this in a shallow pan then whip it up good in the chilled bowl of your mixer if you must but for the very best results you need an ice cream maker. I have a Breville and after using it I can tell you I will never ever use anything else. It has it’s own compressor so you don’t have to freeze the bowl – it does all of the freezing automatically — you just need to set it to the right consistency. Torani Sugar Free English Toffee syrup adds even more flavor to this ice cream and the combination of sugar free sweeteners has a nice balance.
Low Carb Ice Cream Recipe – Sugar Free Brown Butter Bourbon Pecan
Give this recipe a try – I think you’ll love the warm, sweet flavors of the pecans, bourbon, and brown butter mingled together in this scrumptious treat. Be careful though – this low carb ice cream recipe is low on carbs but it is high in calories. Just like any dessert, low carb or otherwise, it’s meant to be enjoyed once in awhile not everyday. You may also like this Strawberry Ice Cream! If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars.
Low Carb Brown Butter Bourbon Pecan Ice Cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups half and half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup granulated stevia blend , or equivalent in your favorite sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 egg yolks , beaten until light
- 2 tablespoons bourbon ,optional, helps reduce iciness
- 2 tablespoons sugar free English Toffee Syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped pecans
- Melt the butter in a heavy sauce pan and allow it to turn golden brown. Don't let get too dark or it will be bitter.
- Add the half and half, the heavy cream, stevia, and the salt to the melted butter and heat just under boiling - bubbles will form around the edge.
- Slowly pour 1/4 cup of the hot cream mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the pan whisking constantly so the egg yolks don't scramble.
- Heat until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon -- don't let it boil.
- Pour into a dish, cover, and refrigerate until cold - preferably overnight.
- Whisk the bourbon, sugar free syrup, vanilla, and xanthan gum into the custard.
- Freeze according to manufacturers instructions, adding the pecans when the mixture begins to freeze.
If you liked this low carb ice cream recipe you may like one of these other low carb treats!
Click on the image to see the recipe. From left to right: Gingerbread Mug Cake, Peanut Butter Mug Cake, Mug Brownie with Peanut Butter Swirl