This Guajillo Chile Chicken in Cream Sauce is low carb but your family will never guess. The smoky, spicy, creamy sauce covers the most succulent, tender, chicken breast you’ve ever put in your mouth. If your family rolls their eyes when you bring out the low carb food try this just once.
Yep. We all know it. I love spicy, Southwestern flavors! One thing about low-carbing is that, while you may miss the carbs, the luxurious, buttery sauces bring out all of the flavors in the recipes. This recipe included.
If you want to cut carbs even more you can omit the onions completely from this particular chicken in cream sauce recipe, and make up the difference with an extra teaspoon of onion powder. Still, you’ll miss the texture and flavor that they bring and the small amount doesn’t make that much difference. Use a good Reisling when making this recipe. It’s slight, tangy sweetness adds a nice complexity to the sauce that’s hard to pinpoint but oh-so-good. Best of all, it’s a family friendly dinner as well and you know, all low carb recipes can’t boast that!
If you have trouble getting the cream sauce to thicken just let it simmer a bit longer. The thickening is the result of evaporation so if you are making this on a humid day it can take up to twice as long to thicken up. Also, the type and brand of cream you use can cause differences as well. Always use heavy cream and cream from Jersey cows, like Promised Land, has a higher butterfat and works better than many others.
Let’s chat for a minute about Guajillo chiles. They are available here in Texas in the grocery store in the produce aisle and they’re pretty inexpensive. I am sure it isn’t that way in every part of the country. There really isn’t a good substitute for them but they are readily available on Amazon. If you buy Don Enrique Guajillo Dried Chiles, or anything else, on Amazon after clicking through that link the blog gets a little commission which helps keep it up and running and it doesn’t cost you a thing – so thank you. If you prefer, you can go to amazon without clicking through the link and you won’t be contributing to the blog – I’ll love you anyway.
It is a big purchase – there is 4 pounds of chiles in that order but, if you are anything like me, you’ll use them up a lot quicker than you think. And… they last a good long time. Just keep them in an airtight container in your pantry.
You could make the chicken ahead of time and just make the sauce to pour over it but don’t freeze the sauce. It will separate and be awful. The sauce will keep up to a week in the fridge, though.
Guijillo Chile Chicken in Cream Sauce
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped Chiles
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 dried Guajillo Chile
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper the chicken breast and rub all over with paprika.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Heat olive oil until very hot in a large, heavy pan.
- Add chicken breasts in to the pan, just 2 at a time - don't crowd.
- When the chicken is golden turn and brown on the other side.
- Remove from pan to a greased baking dish.
- Repeat until all of the chicken is browned.
- Add a little more oil to the pan if needed.
- Saute the onions, garlic and peppers, except guajillo, until just softened.
- Remove from the pan and spoon over the chicken.
- Add the wine carefully to the hot pan and scrape up any bits of chicken or vegetables that may be clinging to the bottom.
- Add the chicken stock, cream, and guajillo chile.
- Simmer until the sauce is reduced by at least half and has thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the guajillo and discard.
- Taste sauce for flavor and adjust seasoning.
- Pour over the chicken and bake at 375F for 15 to 20 minutes or until an instant read thermometer registers 160F when inserted in the chicken.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
If you liked Low Carb Guajillo Chile Chicken in Cream Sauce you may also like…
Low Carb Coconut Chicken Tenders Baking Outside the Box
Chipotle Chicken Chowder All Day I Dream about Food