Low carb cream gravy, or country gravy, has to be the ultimate keto comfort food. With just 1 carb per serving you can spoon it over mashed cauliflower, chicken, hamburger steaks, or anything else you’d want to put gravy over. It’s so quick and easy that you can whip it up in seconds. PLUS it’s an important component in the Chicken and Waffles that I’ll be posting soon!
For this recipe you’ll need: half & half cream, cream cheese, bacon grease, butter, water, chipotle in adobo (optional)
In the south gravy is basically a side dish all it’s own. I’ve eaten gravy on bread, on chicken, on fried chicken, on chicken fried steak, on biscuits, on waffles, on mashed potatoes… oh my goodness… I’ve eaten gravy on everything. I’ve even been knows to spoon leftover gravy just right into my mouth.
It makes a yummy dip for chicken nuggets, too!
Low Carb Country Gravy Video
I published a recipe for Southern gravy on my other blog, Restless Chipotle, and I was amazing at how much controversy a little gravy recipe could stir up. Someone even emailed me to tell me that all of that pepper was unnecessary and that was how “southerner’s” did it.
Well, yeah. This IS how southerners do it because I’m from Texas. Texas IS in the south the last time I checked.
You are perfectly welcome to leave out the pepper or use white pepper but to me those unsightly specks of black pepper are the sign that the gravy is worth eating. I often put in a little mashed chipotle for just a little jolt of flavor but that is completely optional.
You know, the hardest thing about making gravy is getting is smooth and lump free, don’t you agree? The really nice thing about low carb cream gravy is that it doesn’t have flour in it so getting it lump free is not a problem. It’s always perfectly smooth and creamy. The only hazard is that if you’re not careful you can scorch the gravy – it’s thickens up fast.
Honestly the only thing that you’re doing is warming it up and blending it together. No cooking is required.
If you want to double or triple up and make a batch it will stay good, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for a week or so so that you have a constant access to gravy.
Because everyone needs a constant access to gravy, right?
This low carb cream gravy is basically a fat bomb in liquid form. If you’re having trouble getting enough fat on keto then this should do it.
Before anyone asks — I used half and half cream in this rather than heavy cream because I liked the texture better. You can certainly use heavy cream instead but you’ll need to adjust calories if you count them. Using heavy cream will likely bring the carb count down to 0.
Tips for Making Perfect Low Carb Cream Gravy
Making low carb cream gravy is so easy that anyone can do it. Still, here are a few tips that will help you reach Gravy Grand Master status in no time!
- Make sure the ingredients are at room temperature. They’ll blend easier this way.
- Use a nonstick pan to heat things up.
- A small whisk makes getting everything blended right a breeze!
- As with all gravies, serve this low carb cream gravy hot. Once it starts to cool it will thicken up and get clumpy.
- If your gravy thickens and gets clumpy just add a little water or cream and warm it back up, whisking to blend.
- It’s easy to over or under salt gravy. The best thing to do is start with just a pinch of salt and then add more as needed. Add a little at a time and taste often.
- You can change the flavor of the gravy by using beef, chicken, or vegetable stock in place of the water.
- Add cooked ground beef or sausage to the gravy if you want to serve it over biscuits.
- You can use butter instead of bacon grease if you want but the bacon grease adds a nice smoky, salty flavor.
You May Need
The following are affiliate links. If you click through and buy something I will get a small commission used for keeping the blog up and running smoothly. Thank you for being a part of Lowcarb-ology!
You can make all kinds of perfect gravies without a lot of force of you use this ball whisk! The handle is weighted so you don’t need a lot of downward force.
Low Carb Cream Gravy Recipe
Smooth and creamy, this low carb country gravy is going to be a favorite, I promise!
Low Carb Cream Gravy
- heat the cream and cream cheese up with the bacon fat, whisking until smooth.
- Add a little water as needed to get the right consistency.
- Stir in a little mashed chipotle in adobo if desired.
- Taste and adjust salt.
- Add a liberal amount of fresh ground black pepper.
If you liked this low carb country gravy you may also like…
Spicy Thai Peanut Sauce, Alfredo Sauce, Dr Pepper BBQ Sauce