This low-carb cheese “grits” recipe is a keto-friendly update on classic southern comfort food. Creamy, gooey, smoky goodness with just 3.8 net carbs per serving.
Have you ever noticed that southern cooking is not low-carb? Like there is no way in hell that you can sit down to a southern table on a Sunday after church without 900 grams of carbs staring up at you from the plate. So, one of the things I try to do is replicate my favorites as much as I can. Luckily fat is fine because I am not sure what I’d do without butter and bacon. You?
Anyway, I love grits. When they are made well, and often they are not, they are creamy, salty, buttery goodness. I’ve had them at restaurants (I’m looking at you, Cracker Barrel) and considered taking the insipid, gluey mass of glop home to fill in nail holes in my walls. The thing is grits are really bland on their own and take on the flavor of what you add to them.
These low-carb cheese “grits” are smoky, salty, creamy yum on a plate. The cauliflower granules take on the flavor of the bacon while cooking and a little cream cheese and heavy cream add a nice creamy finish. The smoked Gouda just takes it over the top. I’ve left them plain here but they’ll make a great base for Cajun shrimp, sausage, or whatever you like. In fact, I have a brunch recipe coming up soon that uses these as a base so be sure to make these cheese grits at least once before I post it. That way you’ll be ahead on the learning curve, if you know what I mean.
This recipe for low-carb cheese “grits” makes enough for a huge single serving or two moderate servings — I’ll be honest, I ate the entire thing myself in one sitting. This is comfort food, pure and simple. It doesn’t taste low carb, it doesn’t feel low carb — it feels luxurious and southern. And yummy. So very yummy.
I like these with chiles mixed in, too. I mean, after all, Texas. And, on that note, chili is amazing spooned on top of a mound of this stuff, too. Beware though — once you’ve tried it you’ll be hooked. It’s so good.
Low-Carb Cheese “Grits”
- Pulse the cauliflower in the blender until it looks like small granules. Set aside.
- Fry the bacon slowly in the pan until crisp.
- Remove the bacon from the pan and set it aside; leave the bacon grease in the pan.
- Add the butter to the bacon grease and allow it to melt.
- Add the ground cauliflower and hemp seed.
- Saute for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the cream, water, and cream cheese.
- Simmer until the mixture is creamy and the cauliflower is tender. You may need to add a little more water to keep the mixture from going dry.
- Stir in the smoked gouda, smoked paprika, and garlic powder.
- Add the crumbled bacon.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
If you liked this Low-Carb Cheese “Grits” recipe you may also like…
Low-Carb Chili Dog Bake Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom
Mexican Zucchini Beef Skillet Low Carb Yum