If these images look a little greasy it’s because I was seriously deficient in calories for the day (I’d had less than 200) and I melted a little butter on top… I should have thought about it and added it after I took the images.
I have been accused in the past of focusing on Tex-Mex food and flavors.
Well DUH! I have lived here just about forever! Tex-Mex is serious, go-to comfort food for me. The only down side to it is that it ends to have a lot off carbs because of the tortillas, rice, corn and beans we usually add to the meal. This low-carb chicken enchilada casserole gives you that creamy, steamy bite with all the Tex-Mex flavor but with less than three carbs per serving.
Chicken breast is diced and covered in taco seasoning and then sauteed with chilies and onion. A cream sauce flavored with plenty of cilantro is stirred in and then you spoon the mixture into a microwave (or oven) safe dish. Add cheesy, mashed cauliflower with some cheese sprinkled on top and then warm it until the cheese is melted.
I eat this with a big salad to offset the richness of the dish.
You can increase the recipe and make this ahead, spoon it into small Mason jars and cover tightly. Put them in the freezer and you’ll be within a couple of microwave minutes of a hot, low carb meal anytime.
For your low-carb eating plan to be successful you almost have to become your own personal chef. Get in the habit of planning a menu and making foods ahead of time. Store them in the refrigerator or freezer. That way, when the week hits you and you have 150 things to do you won’t be grabbing at pizza because you don’t have time to fix yourself something.
If you don’t have individual size casseroles you should get some. They are a big help when you are cooking for one or two. Here are some that I like from Amazon (affiliate links)
In the past week I have lost 2 1/2 pounds of the 5 that I gained when my son, Chris, was home on leave. 2 1/2 more to go and then I am only 10 lbs away from my “might stop here” goal. I am not exercising and I want to.. I just do not know how to fit it in and make it work right now.
How are you doing?
Creamy Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe
- 1/3 cup diced chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 11/2 tablespoon cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Olive oil for pan
- 1 teaspoon chopped onion
- 1 tsp chilies or fresh jalapeno
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup cauliflower
- 2 tbs cheese
- 1 tbs cream
- Toss the chicken in the taco seasoning and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Saute it in a little olive oil, until just barely done.
- Add the onions and jalapeno or chilies and continue to cook until the onion is tender.
- Stir often to keep the chicken and onion from scorching.
- Whisk the cream cheese and cream over low heat until they are smooth.
- Test flavor and add salt if needed.
- Add the cilantro.
- Mix the cheese sauce into the chicken and set aside in a warm spot.
- Steam the cauliflower until very soft.
- Add the cream and a pinch of salt.
- Mash thoroughly with a fork.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the cheese into the mashed cauliflower.
- Use the other tablespoon to sprinkle on top of the casserole.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into a small, microwave safe dish.
- Add the cauliflower mash to the top.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Microwave or heat in the oven just until the cheese melts and the dish is warmed through.