Coca Cola cake is a traditional Southern favorite recipe that I’ve adapted to be low carb! With just 3 net carbs this version is made in minutes in the microwave, too! Fudgy, sweet, and topped with a creamy chocolate glaze and crunchy pecans, it’s sure to handle any and all cravings for sweets.
For this recipe you’ll need: almond flour, chocolate whey powder, monkfruit sweetener, Swerve sweetener, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, Coke Zero, egg whites, butter
Jump to Recipe
Coca Cola Cake has long been a favorite here in Texas — maybe not quite as popular as Texas Sheet Cake but really close. Generally it’s a one layer fudge cake with a thick fudge frosting and it’s SO good but OMG the carbs involved!
The other day I just wanted a Coca Cola cake and my cravings would not take no for an answer. As you know, I don’t like to make an entire low carb cake because no one else here eats low carb so I decided to see if I could come up with a chocolate mug cake recipe that fit my needs.
This recipe makes 2 small cakes in custard cups or one big cake in a large sized coffee mug. The custard cup size was plenty for me but you could also put the two custard cup layers together to make a layer cake. Just remember that the nutrition information on this recipe was calculated using two servings – so if you eat the whole thing double the carbs.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Low Carb Coca Cola Cake is perfect for satisfying chocolate cravings! Just 3 net carbs!” quote=”Low Carb Coca Cola Cake is perfect for satisfying chocolate cravings! Just 3 net carbs!” theme=”style1″]
Southern Cake Recipes Are Legendary
I always feel weird trying to adapt a cake recipe to low carb. For one thing Southern cake recipes tend to be passed down in families and they are almost always legendary. Either Great Aunt Pearlie Lou makes the best chocolate cake in the Baptist church downtown or Miz Billie Sue makes the best in the Pentecostal church just south of the new mall – it will be argued for decades. We’re very serious about our cakes.
Low carb cakes can be very good but they aren’t exactly the same as those old favorites – and I defy anyone to say that they are. It doesn’t mean they’re not good — just that they are inherently different from a cake made with sugar and cake flour!
When I set out to make this Coca Cola cake low carb I knew that the texture was going to be slightly different from the classic Coca Cola Cake – and it is. But the flavor is so good and the texture is on par with any of the other low carb cakes I’ve had. I’m calling this a win.
Variations on Low Carb Coca Cola Cake
You can make it exactly like the recipe below and it’s amazing, I promise, but there are several ways you can change it up. Here are some ideas:
- Make this in the oven by baking it at 325F for 1bout 10 to 15 minutes
- Use the cream cheese frosting from my celebration cake
- Add some low carb chopped chocolate to the batter before microwaving (don’t forget to add the appropriate number of net carbs)
- Add a few drops of mint extract
- Use sugar free Dr Pepper or sugar free root beer in place of the Coke Zero
- Use a strong brewed coffee instead of the Coke Zero
YOU MAY NEED…
The following are affiliate links. If you click through and buy something I will get a small commission used for keeping the blog up and running smoothly. Thank you for being a part of Lowcarb-ology!
I use these Monkfruit Packets. I love the way it sweetens with no aftertaste! Mixing sweeteners is the best way I’ve found to get a sweet taste without any bitterness. I use Swerve in conjunction with the Monkfruit here.
Recipe for Low Carb Coca Cola Fudge Cake
Coca Cola Cake in a Mug
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 2 tablespoon chocolate whey protein powder
- 1 packet monkfruit
- 1 tablespoon Swerve or favorite sweetener
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup Coke Zero
- 2 tablespoons egg whites
- 1 tablespoons butter , melted
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 tablespoon Swerve
- 1/2 tablespoon pecans chopped
- Oil one large coffee mug and dust with almond flour or protein powder.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Stir the Coke Zero into the dry mixture until thoroughly blended.
- Fold in about 1/3 of the egg whites to lighten the mixture. Fold until no streaks remain.
- Fold in the remaining egg whites gently but thoroughly.
- Spoon the batter in the prepared mug.
- Microwave on high for about 45 seconds, or until the cakes are firm but still wet on top. DON'T OVERCOOK!
- Leave the cake in the cup for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from cup and add the glaze and pecans.
- Melt the butter in the microwave.
- Stir in the cocoa and Swerve until smooth.
- Spoon over the cake and top with the pecans.
If you liked this low carb chocolate mug cake you may also like…
Click on the image to see the recipe. From left to right: Gingerbread Mug Cake, Peanut Butter Mug Cake, Mug Brownie with Peanut Butter Swirl