Chicken spaghetti with Ro*Tel is the ultimate, cheesy, gooey comfort food and with this low carb recipe you can enjoy it as often as you want! It’s a mouthwatering southern casserole that the entire family will love and so easy to make that it’s doable for buys weeknights, too. This low carb version doesn’t freeze well but you can assemble it a day or two ahead of time if you want.
For this recipe you’ll need: zucchini, cream cheese, heavy cream, cheddar, garlic, chipotle in adobo, chicken stock, sour cream, Ro*Tel tomatoes and chiles, and cooked chicken
Table of Contents
The Recipe Backstory
I don’t know if chicken spaghetti is just a southern thing or if it’s one of those dishes that’s popular all over the country. I don’t want to assume all of y’all know what it is so here’s a basic description…
If you took all of the mom hugs in the history of the world and stirred it together with cuddly sweaters and favorite jeans, then sprinkled a crackling fire and a good book on top you’d have an idea of just what chicken spaghetti is all about.
For those of you that lean to the prosaic things in life I’ll just say that it’s gooey and cheesy with a little smoky spice.
I honestly don’t remember the first time I had chicken spaghetti but I do know that it was one of my favorites when I was growing up. Since it’s such an easy, inexpensive dish I made it often for my own family as well. When I began eating low carb I’d watch the kids gobble down that glorious comfort food while I nibbled on my grilled chicken breast.
Obviously something would have to be done – so I played around until I think I got it just right – as close to real chicken spaghetti as you’ll get and still be low carb.
Chicken Spaghetti FAQs
This is an easy recipe – especially if you can get the zucchini already spiralized at the grocery store and pick up a rotisserie chicken from the deli.
How do you make chicken spaghetti with Rotel?
Ro*Tel is really the secret ingredient in this chicken spaghetti recipe -whether you do low carb or regular. It doesn’t have many carbs AND it adds just the right amount of zippity-do-dah to what “could” end up being too bland of a dish. Besides… it’s tradition. This is such an easy dish to make! Here are step by step images followed by step by step instructions – you can’t mess it up!
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Saute the zoodles until just barely soft – about 1 minute.
- Dice the cooked chicken and add to the zoodles.
- Melt the cream cheese, heavy cream, and cheddar in the microwave.
- Stir the garlic, chipotle, chicken stock, sour cream, and Ro*Tel into the cream cheese mixture.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture into the zoodles and chicken.
- Stir gently to mix all ingredients.
- Top with more cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
What’s in a can of Ro*Tel?
Nah. Actually it’s diced tomatoes and fire roasted green chiles. If you can’t get Ro*Tel you can replicate it with those ingredients.
What can I do with leftover Ro*Tel?
Since I try to keep the recipes here on Lowcarb-ology down to 1 or 2 servings you might often have half a can of Ro*Tel left – like in this recipe. Here are some more recipes from Lowcarb-ology using small amounts of Ro*Tel or where you can substitute Ro*Tel-
- Arroz con Pollo
- Chicken Enchilada Skillet Dinner
- Creamy Enchilada Chicken Breast
- American Goulash
- Taco Casserole
- Beef Pozole Verde
Variations to Keto Chicken Spaghetti Recipe
There are several ways to add variety to this easy, keto recipe – here are some of my favorites!
- Use part or all Pepper Jack cheese
- Use spiralized broccoli stems – it’s a great way to get use trimmings!
- Diced leftover pork roast or ham in place of the chicken
- Add chopped cilantro
- Top with bbq flavored pork rind crumbs before baking
- Use cauli-rice in place of the zoodles
You May Need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of Lowcarb-ology!
This is the spiralizer that I have. If you buy spiralized vegetables in the store they can be expensive but when you can do it yourself the spiralizer pays for itself in a matter of weeks!
Low Carb Chicken Spaghetti with Ro*Tel
This chicken spaghetti recipe is a family favorite that I’ve made low carb and keto friendly. We’ve always made it with Ro*Tel but you can certainly substitute your own diced tomatoes and chiles. If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars!
Low Carb Chicken Spaghetti
- 4 medium zucchini , spiralized
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic , chopped
- 2 cups chicken ,cooked and diced or shredded
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 1/2 ounces cheddar cheese , grated - 1/2 ounce set aside
- 1/2 cup Ro*Tel tomatoes and chiles
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon chipotle in adobo , mashed
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- If the zucchini isn't spiralized go ahead and spiralize it.
- Saute the zoodles and garlic in a little butter until just barely soft.
- Add chicken and set aside.
- Place the cream cheese and cream into a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until you can mix the two together smoothly.
- Stir in the 2 ounces of Cheddar and heat until melted, about 1 minute. - stir until smooth.
- Add the Ro*Tel, chicken stock, sour cream, and chipotle in adobo.
- Stir to blend and add to the zoodles and chicken.
- Stir gently and spoon into a greased casserole dish.
- Top with remaining 1/2 ounce of cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and dish is heated through.
More Zoodle Recipes
Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Noodle Bake Beauty and the Foodie
Sausage Alfredo with Zoodles All Day I Dream About Food