Here’s a low carb cheeseburger casserole that is totally family friendly. Ground beef, onion, bacon, and pickles are mixed together, topped with cheese, and then have a mayonnaise cream sauce poured over the top. It’s baked and is kind of like a quiche but not really. This post was originally published in February 2014. Images and some wording has been changed to improve reader experience.
For this recipe you’ll need: ground beef, garlic, salt, pepper, onions, bacon, dill pickles, eggs, mayonnaise, half and half, cheddarJump to Recipe
I can tell you it is delicious.
I have always had a thing for cheeseburgers. I miss the bun, I have to admit. With this casserole you really don’t miss it surprisingly enough. There is so much protein packed in it that you won’t be hungry for a very long time. My kids liked it with ketchup.
Cheeseburger casserole is absolutely amazing with low carb tater tots and a low carb protein shake when you are craving junk food – just sayin.
You know, I was thinking the other day – I remember the first time I went to a McDonalds. We were in the back of my aunt an uncle’s big,black car and it must have been around 1963. I can remember sitting in the back, not being able to see over the seats or out the windows, and eating French fries very carefully so as not to mess up my dress.
It was the first time I can remember having fries but I was instantly in love. When I got older my dad, a cheeseburger addict, and I had a standing date for every Saturday at the local lunch counter. We always got fries, a cheeseburger, and a chocolate shake. The burgers were much different then. They were smaller and more plain but somehow they were memorable in flavor. I don’t know how they did it but the burgers today just can’t compare.
Give this low carb cheeseburger casserole a try but don’t be afraid to play around with it. Add chilies instead of pickles, use pepper-jack instead of cheddar, or whatever you want to do. It’s a real versatile dish so play around with it and get it exactly the way your family likes it best.
Low Carb Cheeseburger Casserole
- In skillet, brown ground beef with onion, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile cook the bacon until crisp.
- Break the bacon up into bite sized pieces.
- Drain the fat from the ground beef and the bacon.
- Blot with paper towel to remove as much fat as possible.
- Mix the bacon and pickles into the ground beef.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine eggs, mayo and half and half being sure to mix well.
- Sprinkle cheese over beef mixture in pie pan and pour egg mixture over the whole thing.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, until top is browned and set.
- Cool 10 minutes before serving