Cabbage rolls, or galumpkis, are one of my very favorite dishes from childhood. I make them several times a year, although I’ll admit to sometimes taking a shortcut and making it as a casserole for ease!
The problem with cabbage rolls is that they are starchy and high in carbs which will definitely throw your right out of ketosis and right out of that lovely fat burning stage. I’ve made low carb ones but they are almost always just meat filling and I like the rice mixed with the meat because it makes it lighter. Luckily I have an answer – using cauliflower instead of rice.
These are relatively easy to put together. You’ll remove the core from the cabbage and then steam it with the core side down, until the leaves are very tender, flexible, and easy to pull off. Once they cool a little you’ll put a spoonful of filling on the edge and roll them up tightly, tucking in the sides as you roll. Now just put them seam side down in the baking dish and you are good to go.
You can put the cabbage rolls together one day and cook them the next, you can cook them and freeze them, you can hold them for several days in the refrigerator — they will still be there waiting for you and as delicious as ever when you are ready to eat them. A programmable Slow Cooker will allow you to have even more freedom when it comes to how and when they cook.
If you like them a little spicy a pinch of chipotle is a wonderful thing.
Please give these a try and let me know your thoughts. I basically just adapted my mom’s recipe.
Cabbage Rolls without the Carbs
- 1 head of cabbage about 1 pound
- 1/2 pound of ground beef
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1/4 cup onion
- 2 cups of raw cauliflower chopped fine
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Stevia or xylitol to taste
- 1/4 cup sour cream.
- Core the cabbage and pull off the first layer of outer leaves.
- Place in a large pot with about 2 inches of boiling water.
- Let cabbage steam until the leaves pull off easily and are very pliable without being mushy..
- Let cool.
- Process cauliflower in food processor until it is finely chopped, about the size of rice.
- Set aside.
- Cook the ground beef with the onion.
- Drain well.
- Add salt and pepper to tast.
- Mix the parsley, beef, and raw cauliflower in a bowl.
- Beat the egg and mix in well. This will help the filling stick together.
- Lay a cabbage leaf flat on the counter.
- Slash the bottom vein if it doesn't seem pliable.
- Add a tablespoon of the meat mixture to the cabbage and roll up.
- Repeat with all of the cabbage leaves that are big enough.
- Whisk the tomato, cloves, sweetener, and sour cream together until smooth.
- Add a little water to thin it down if needed.
- Add about 1/4 cup to the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Lay the rolls in the slow cooker.
- Cover with the remaining sauce.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or cover or cook in the oven at 350F for an hour.
If you like low carb cabbage rolls you may also like:
Fried Cabbage with Bacon and Onions (low carb layla)
Sriracha Beef Cabbage Bowl (kalyn’s kitchen)
Low Carb Ravioli with two Fillings (lowcarb-ology)
Low Carb Stuffed Poblano Peppers (lowcarb-ology)