Quick and easy, this low carb burrito casserole recipe is done in minutes so you don’t have to wait! Layers of seasoned, ground beef, shaved zucchini, and cheese are topped with a sour cream layer. If you are craving low carb Tex-Mex food you’ll love this simple gluten-free recipe.
For this recipe you’ll need: zucchini, chicken stock, ground beef, shredded Mexican blend cheese, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, lime juice, black olivesJump to Recipe
I think that good Tex-Mex food is one of the hardest things to adapt to low carb. I mean there’s the tortillas, the chips, the beans… All of that big flavor comes from all of those good ingredients. I am SO happy that I was able to adapt one of my family’s favorite recipes to a low carb version!
I have a burrito casserole recipe that is totally to die for. It is a cheap, easy meal that the kids will eat and it stretches the grocery budget nicely. Sadly it has about 50 carbs per serving! That’s no good.
I was making one for my family as well as a family at church who’d just gotten 2 foster kids. I love our church for many reasons but one is the support it gives to foster and adoptive families. The team that I’m on fixes meals for foster families when they get a new placement – usually at least a week or two. Not having to cook gives the parents a chance to adjust and focus on the kids AND getting the meals lets them know that the rest of us are supportive of what they are doing.
As an adopted person I can tell you that I LOVE this ministry!
Anyway, I doubled the burrito casserole recipe and the kitchen was smelling SO good. I wondered if there was any way that I could recreate the flavor in something I could enjoy. I am kinda tired of cauliflower at the moment so I used some zucchini I had in the back fridge. WOW!
It is so good. SO good. My good friend stopped by and I had her try a bite just to make sure I wasn’t imagining things. She loved it as much as I did.
Since I am the only one low-carbing at my house I make single servings. If you want to make a big pan of this just click on the serving size and adjust it up to whatever. If you are baking it in the oven instead of making it in the microwave as I did, bake it at 350F, 10 minutes for the smaller size and probably up to 30 minutes for a big pan.
YOU MAY NEED…
The following are affiliate links. If you click through and buy something I will get a small commission used for keeping the blog up and running smoothly. Thank you for being a part of Lowcarb-ology!
Small loaf pans or tart pans are perfect for making individual sized casseroles. I love this white mini loaf pan set and am ordering it as we speak!
Low Carb Burrito Casserole Recipe
You’ll love the southwestern flavors and creamy texture of this baked burrito casserole recipe! Bake it in the microwave or make a larger amount and bake in a 350F oven for up to 30 minutes – just until heated through.
Tex-Mex Burrito Casserole Bake
- 1/3 pound ground beef ,lean -90/10 is good
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder ,more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder , more to taste
- 4 black olives , sliced
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Zucchini , shaved in 6 wide strips with a vegetable peeler - about an ounce
- 1 ounce Mexican blend cheese , grated
- 1/2 ounce cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon green chiles , canned - or saute fresh jalapeno for more kick
- Oil , to grease the pan
- Salt , to taste
- Squeeze of lime juice , optional
- Sprinkle the ground beef with salt and brown in a heavy saucepan until done.
- Mix in the cumin, chili powder, and black olives - taste and add more salt if needed.
- Squeeze the lime over the top and set aside.
- Steam the zucchini in the chicken broth for 1-2 minutes until just tender and pliable.
- Drain and add a layer of the zucchini (2 slices) to your microwave safe baking pan. No need to reserve the chicken broth.
- Top with half the meat mixture.
- sprinkle with some of the grated cheese.
- Repeat layers, ending with zucchini and reserving some of the grated cheese for the top.
- Heat the cream cheese until very soft and then stir in the sour cream to blend.
- Spoon over the top layer of zucchini and sprinkle with the remaining grated cheese.
- Microwave for 2 minutes, or until heated through.
- Let stand a minute or two to firm up before removing it from the baking dish - or eat it right out of the dish!
If you liked this Easy Burrito Casserole you may also like…
Click on the image to see the recipe. From left to right (all low carb): Chicken Shawarma, Chicken Pot Pie, Chicken Alfredo