What’s summer without a bowl of ice cream? This homemade strawberry ice cream recipe is full of sweet berry flavor with a dash of tequila that gives it just a hint of margarita flavor and helps it freeze into that smooth, creamy concoction that everyone loves. Best of all it’s low carb and keto friendly! You’ll need an ice cream maker but it’s so much better than anything you can buy that it’s worth every penny!
For this recipe you’ll need: heavy cream, half and half cream (light cream), swerve sweetener, egg yolks, sugar free strawberry syrup, tequila, salt, lemonade water enhancer
July is kind of a party month for us between the 4th and birthdays on the 1st, 3rd, and 11th. My youngest daughter turned 15 on the 1st and my youngest son turned 18 on the 3rd but since they have the same circle of friends we had just one party.
Some people don’t like the teenage years but I don’t think there’s a stage in my kids’ lives that I haven’t enjoyed. Well, except the one where they move out – that’s always bittersweet. Anyway, we had 12 or so teenagers here for the party. I grilled steaks and we had two kinds of cake ( pineapple upside down cake and ice cream cake) plus homemade brownie batter ice cream, and then they went out back and made s’mores around the fire pit. It was perfect except for one thing.
I have only one ice cream maker and I didn’t make them low carb ice cream.
So, we were ALSO grilling on the 4th and I decided right then to make my friend Edye and myself some low carb strawberry ice cream to go with our bunless burgers and my favorite faux macaroni salad.
This ice cream is creamy and sweet with fresh strawberries and cream flavor. Thanks to sugar free strawberry syrup it’s only got 5 carbs per serving. Different ice cream makers may whip this with more or less air so your serving sizes may vary a little but our servings were close to a cup each – and we didn’t want more because it’s so rich.
Low Carb Ice Cream FAQs
Can you eat ice cream on a keto diet?
You can if you keep it low carb. There are several commercial varieties available but I am not a big fan of any of them. I do love the homemade low carb ice cream though! Keep in mind that ice cream, even low carb ice cream, is meant to be an occasional treat not a daily thing.
Is ice cream bad for diabetics?
It’s important to keep track of your carbs no matter what you eat. Ice cream is no worse than any higher carb food but when you make low carb ice cream it shouldn’t have much impact at all.
How do you make homemade ice cream from scratch?
Homemade ice cream usually starts with a custard.
- Stir cream, half and half, and sweetener into a saucepan over medium low heat until bubbles form around the edge.
- Add the egg yolks in whisking constantly until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Chill thoroughly.
- Add flavorings and transfer to your ice cream maker.
- Turn on the machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Ice cream is usually ready in about 20 minutes.
How to you make 5 minute ice cream in a bag?
Don’t have an ice cream maker? This may work for you!
- Mix all ingredients (leave out the eggs).
- Pour into a quart sized bag and seal.
- Fill a gallon sized bag 3/4 full of ice, then add 1/3 cup salt to the ice.
- Place the smaller bag inside the larger bag and seal the larger bag.
- Shake vigorously for 5 minutes.
Do you need an ice cream maker to make ice cream?
There are several recipes that don’t require an ice cream maker but if you love ice cream and you want to have it regularly an ice cream maker generally makes a higher quality, better ice cream – especially low carb versions.
Is ice cream keto friendly?
Low carb ice cream is. It has plenty of good fats to keep you satisfied and is sweetened with sweeteners that don’t raise your blood sugar.
Tips for Making this Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
The strawberry ice cream recipe is pretty straight forward but these tips will help you –
- For a lighter, less dense ice cream hold out half the heavy cream. Whip it and fold it in to the cooled custard before adding to the ice cream maker.
- Let the custard completely cool before adding it to the ice cream freezer. If possible, cover the custard and refrigerate overnight for the best results.
- If you have time let it “ripen” in the freezer for 6 hours or so after you make it.
- Homemade ice cream will keep in the freezer for up to a week but no more than that.
You May Need…
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of Lowcarb-ology!
I have a Breville and after using it I can tell you I will never ever use anything else. It has it’s own compressor so you don’t have to freeze the bowl – it does all of the freezing automatically — you just need to set it to the right consistency.
Low Carb Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
This is my new favorite ice cream! If you have some fresh strawberries you could chop them up and add them to the mixture just before it’s finished freezing but be sure to figure in the extra carbs and calories. You may also like this brown butter bourbon pecan ice cream recipe. If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars – thanks!
Smooth and creamy with big strawberry flavor, this ice cream is a summer treat that won't put your low carb diet on hold. Just 5 carbs in a generous 3/4 cup serving!
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup half and half cream , you may know it as light cream
- 1/4 cup powdered Swerve sweetener
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar free strawberry syrup , I used Torani
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum , optional - helps with texture
- 1/8 teaspoon lemonade water enhancer
Beat the egg yolks until very light and lemon colored and set aside.
Add the half and half, the heavy cream, Swerve, and the salt to a heavy sauce pan and heat until just about to boil - bubbles will form around the edge of the pan and it will start to steam.
With the mixer running, carefully pour 1/4 of a cup of the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks.
Pour the egg mixture back into the pan whisking constantly so the egg yolks don't scramble.
Heat until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon -- don't let it boil.
Cover and refrigerate until cool.
Add the syrup, tequila, vanilla, xanthan gum, and water enhancer and whisk in well.
Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers instructions.
You may use vodka instead of the tequila