This easy, low carb, quick corned beef and cabbage recipe is as fast to put together as it is delicious. It’s one of my favorites for summer when I don’t want to spend a lot of time cooking something or I want corned beef and the kids want pizza.
Let’s face it. Almost any way you do corned beef and cabbage is going to be low carb — unless you add noodles or potatoes. So, in that way this recipe isn’t like a heavy revelation from God or anything. The thing is that good corned beef and cabbage takes hours to cook, whether you do it on top of the stove or a slow cooker, and sometimes I don’t want to wait hours.
By sometimes I mean never.
This is my summer version of one of my favorite foods, corned beef and cabbage. You begin with deli sliced corned beef and chopped cabbage. It goes together in about 10 minutes and you are eating it before you get so hungry that you’ve popped six cookies and half a Pop-tart in your mouth.
See, that’s my downfall. I might be cooking some luscious low carb dinner for myself but I usually wait until I am starving and so I pick at the stuff around the kitchen without really realizing it until it is too late. Now, some of you might say to just get rid of the carb heavy foods but that is not possible in my house. For one thing I have another blog which makes a large percentage of my income and it is not low carb! For another thing my kids and husband will not stand for it. And honestly? If I didn’t have to eat low carb I wouldn’t.
So, all of that to say that I have to find ways to get around my natural tendency to pick at food and taste while I am cooking. I do that by leaving celery, cheese cubes, and other low carb snacks out on the counter, as well as by making my meals as quickly as possible.
Thus this 15 minute, quick corned beef and cabbage. I like it with the faux potato salad on the side.
Quick Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease or butter
- 2 ounces corned beef thinly sliced from the deli cut into strips
- 3 ounces cabbage chopped about 2-1/2 cups
- 1 tablespoon onion
- 1 tablespoon beer dark
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 horseradish to 1/2 teaspoon of ground paste
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard grainy if desired
- Melt the bacon grease or butter in a small skillet.
- Add the cabbage and onion and saute until tender and it begins to caramelize and turn golden on the edges.
- Add 1 tablespoon dark beer.
- Add the corned beef, caraway, mustard,and horseradish and saute until well mixed and hot.
- Serve immediately.