Low Carb Poblano Chicken Rollups are easier than they look and the flavor is a Southwestern fiesta in your mouth. Smoked paprika and cumin are rubbed on the outside of the chicken breast, then a fire-roasted poblano and a cream cheese mixture are rolled up inside it, then it is wrapped in bacon. Spicy, smoky, creamy, rich perfection with a super low carb count.
It’s no secret to anyone that I love Tex-Mex food. Just about anything with a Southwestern flavor calls my name — and that isn’t always good since so much of the time Tex-Mex includes tortillas, chips, and breading. This has all of the flavors that I love but without the carby components. I made this for my son’s going away party (he had been home on leave from the Navy and he was headed back) and one of our guests informed me that he’d expect to eat something like this at a restaurant. It was popular with everyone, even those who weren’t low carbing… it’s just that good.
Techniques to Know
There are two techniques that you’ll need to know in order to make this dish but both are quite simple.
Butterflying a Chicken Breast.
You’ll take a boneless, skinless chicken breast and place it on a piece of waxed paper. Place your hand on the top, hold the chicken down firmly, and carefully slice through it horizontally with a very sharp knife. The breast is now in two pieces and much thinner than before. It makes it easier to pound out and roll.
Fire Roasting Poblanos
Poblano peppers are large, sort of heart shaped, deep green peppers that have just a little heat when they are green. They get progressively hotter as they ripen to a rich rusty red. Fire roasting them gives them a slightly smoky flavor.
Place the poblano on a fork and hold over a gas flame until it is blistered and blacked all over. If you don’t have a gas stove you can do the same thing with a plumber’s torch. They are super cheap at the hardware store and last much longer than the fancy-schmancy ones at cooking stores. You can also broil it but you’ll need to watch it carefully. You want it to blister not to ignite.
So that’s it. See? Told you they were easy!
Poblano Chicken Rollups
- 1 tablespoon paprika smoked
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic
- of stevia if desired Pinch
- Pound the chicken breasts between 2 pieces of parchment until they are thin but not torn up.
- Set aside.
- Blacken the poblano pepper over an open flame until the skin blisters and peels.
- Place inside a plastic bag and seal. Allow to cool.
- Rub the blistered skin off.
- Slice in 6 slices.
- Set aside.
- Mix the cream cheese and cheddar.
- Set aside.
- Lay one of the chicken breasts out on parchment paper.
- Lay a slice of poblano on the top.
- Spoon a little of the cream cheese mixture on top.
- Roll up carefully.
- Rub with a little of the spice mixture.
- Wrap the bacon around the rolled chicken breast. It should stick but if it doesn't secure it with a toothpick.
- Repeat with the rest of the ingredients.
- Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes, or until chicken registers 160F on a meat thermometer.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Remove toothpicks if you've used them.
- Serve with a little cilantro finishing oil if desired.
- Mix all the ingredients.
If you liked these low carb Poblano Chicken Rollups you may also like…
Crockpot Ranch Chicken Cooking Outside the Box
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Aunt Bees Recipes