This lowcarb Tex-Mex Breakfast Bowl is one step to taking the boring out of your lowcarb breakfast during the Atkins induction period.
Admittedly, breakfast when you are on a low-carb diet can be boring — and that’s an understatement. I don’t really like eggs which puts me at a huge disadvantage to begin with. I can handle a fried egg sandwich IF the toast is thick an buttery and the egg has the yolk broken and fried hard. I can do an omelet if it has enough other stuff in it. Scrambled eggs every day?
But, I can almost always eat something that has a southwestern flavor to it no matter what it is, with just a few exceptions.
This Tex-Mex breakfast bowl is still scrambled eggs. There are more lowcarb breakfast recipes in development that totally aren’t scrambled eggs but this one still relies on them. That’s where the similarities end. It is so kicked up that the eggs are just sort of a vehicle for pulling the rest of the ingredients together.
I don’t know if any of you are old enough to remember the Stillman diet of the early 70s. It came out about the same time as Atkins but was severely limited in carbs and fats. I grew up in a family that was very body conscious so when I got a little extra pudgy when I was 14 my mom handed me the book and some hard boiled eggs.
I hated it and found Atkins a short time later. Once I lost the offending ten pounds I didn’t have a weight issue again until after I had had several children. Come to find out, my thyroid was a mess, and it was back to Atkins.
The damage had been done, however. I really dislike eggs. Except these.
Oh, and hey. If you need lowcarb supplies take a look in the navigation at the top of this page and check out the Lowcarb-ology store. When you buy your supplies through my site I get a small percentage and it helps me keep the blog going. 🙂
Lowcarb Tex-Mex Breakast Bowl
- 2 slices of bacon
- 1/4 cup zucchini cut in small chunks
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped Poblano pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar or pepperjack cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- pepper to taste
- couple of drops of liquid smoke optional
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- Beat the eggs, cream, liquid smoke, and cumin together and set aside.
- Chop the bacon into small squares and add to a heavy skillet.
- Cook until some of the fat is released and then add the onion, zucchini, and pepper.
- Saute, moving the vegetables around constantly until the bacon is cooked and the zucchini is tender but still has texture.
- Add the beaten egg mixture and stir until the eggs are cooked.
- Stir in the cilantro.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Spoon into a bowl and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Add the sour cream.
You may also really like this Low-Carb Fajita Chicken Bowl with Cilantro Lime “Rice”.…