I have found that the more flavor something has the easier it is for me to stay away from carbs. I definitely need big, bold flavors in my diet! This low carb spicy Thai salad totally fits the bill.
I think this is just as pretty as it is delicious. Imagine how many covetous looks you’ll be getting for coworkers when you take this low carb spicy Thai salad for lunch?
What a great way to have the last laugh on all of those people who ate pizza in front of you when you were on induction.
I’ll be honest. I buy a bag of coleslaw mix and use that. I usually don’t feel like taking the time to grate cabbage. Since this salad doesn’t store well I like to make the spicy peanut dressing and keep it in the refrigerator. I mix the salad ingredients except the avocado and cashews and keep that in a storage container. If I just want one salad I take a handful of the salad, pour a couple of tablespoons of he dressing over top, and then sprinkle with cashews and avocado. Yummy salad for one!
OK. Let’s talk flavor. This is spicy from the chili oil and the jalapenos. Cabbage and cashews add a nice, satisfying crunch, the vinegar and lime give it a little pucker. Fresh ginger and garlic provide exotic warmth, and the avocado pieces, along with the peanut dressing, give it richness. I think it works perfectly as a light lunch or dinner — it’s a little too heavy for me to use as a side. I am a very light eater and I get full really fast.
I blame my lack of thyroid. :p
Yes, it does have a tiny bit of molasses for flavor – it adds nearly nothing nutritionally but it does give a little bit of flavor. I hope you’ll try this and then come back and let me know what you think!
Lowcarb-ology contains affiliate links. When you click and buy it helps keep the blog up and running. Thank you so much for your continued support!
Low Carb Spicy Thai Salad with Cashews
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup snow peas sliced on a diagonal
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup diced avocado
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped. fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno or more to taste
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red chile-sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspons erythritol or other sugar free sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon of molasses
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- Night before you want to use the dressing whisk the dressing ingredients together until well mixed.
- Add enough water to make it a good, pourable consistency.
- Store in a covered jar in the refrigerator.
- Mix all ingredients gently in a bowl.
- Pour the salad dressing over and toss so the dressing coats all of the ingredients.
- Serve immediately with slices of lime to squeeze over the top.
If you like Low Carb Spicy Thai Salad with Cashews you may also like…
Low Carb Cucumbers in Sour Cream Lowcarb-ology
Induction Spicy Chicken Fried Rice Lowcarb-ology
Paleo Chicken Pesto Salad Fed and Fit
Shrimp and “Orzo” Salad Deliciously Organic