Low carb potato salad is a must for summertime! Cauliflower takes the place of the potatoes for a low carb version of this summer favorite. It’s just as tangy and good as you remember it.
Summer isn’t summer without potato salad and this low carb version is a pretty close copycat. Cauliflower is simmered until it is tender but not mushy, then mixed with celery, onion, chopped dill pickles, and hardboiled egg. The whole thing is mixed with a tangy dressing.
When I was growing up I think we had macaroni salad or potato salad with almost every meal in the summertime. They were inexpensive side dishes that were easy to make and you could make them ahead. That meant that we could play in the pool all day long and then when dad got home we’d dry off, he’d grill burgers, and we’d eat on paper plates. That’s how summer was in the 1960s.
It was awesome.
Since I’ve been on low carb I’ve watched my family eat macaroni salad and potato salad while I sullenly picked at my salad. Or my plain burger. You know how it is — you’ve been there, too.
This was so good I ate both servings all by myself. I added both yellow mustard and coarse grained mustard because it gave me the flavor I wanted. You can certainly add one or the other. This is how I remember it. Tangy, fresh, and tasting just like the summer of 1967.
I was seven that summer. My parents did not believe in hovering so I had the run of our neighborhood, the woods that surrounded it, and the ice cream place up by the highway. I’d get up early and head out to the woods by myself. I’ve always been a bit of a loner, an introvert, and I’ve always felt my best after I’ve spent time in the woods. It had a huge impact on my life — by the time I was in Jr High I’d read Walden and other books by Thoreau, Whitman, and Victorian naturalists. I found arrowheads and old horseshoes, thickets of ripe, jammy blackberries, and scratchy tickley crayfish. I learned about the world around me through experience and that stayed with me. It’s something I tried to instill into my kids when we homeschooled.
Potato salad brings back memories for me. I hope that you like this as much as I do.
Low Carb Potato Salad
- 3 ounces cauliflower
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill pickle
- 1 hardboiled egg chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon coarse mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon of horseradish optional
- Sugar free sweetener to taste
- Salt and pepper as desired
- Cut the cauliflower into small flowerettes.
- Simmer them in salted water until tender but not mushy.
- Drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking.
- Mix in a bowl with the celery, onion, pickle, and chopped egg.
- Mix the mayo, mustards, horseradish, and sweetener.
- Spoon over the cauliflower mixture and stir gently to cover the vegetables.
- Chill until serving, at least 30 minutes.
If you like low carb potato salad you may also like…
Broccoli Slaw I Breathe I’m Hungry
Cilantro Lime Rice Skinny Taste