These easy, low carb cream cheese kolaches are a breakfast treat with just 2.8 net carbs each! Low carbs, no gluten? Sounds like the perfect breakfast to me!
For this recipe you’ll need: Mozzarella, cream cheese, almond flour, baking powder, egg, vanilla, vanilla stevia liquid, monkfruit (or other sugar-free sweetener) pecans, cinnamon, silpat or parchment
If you are in a hurry click here to go straight to the low carb cream cheese kolaches recipe.
I have an addiction to kolaches. Living about 45 minutes north of West, Texas (which happens to be the kolache capitol as far as I’m concerned) means that I can hop in my car and kolache myself into carbohydrate heaven in less time than it takes me to get across Dallas. My favorite? Czech Stop… or Village Bakery. Only in Texas can you get that kind of food at a gas station!
Wait. Maybe my favorite is Village Bakery…
Kolaches are puffy clouds of buttery yeast dough filled with all kinds of yumminess from cream cheese to jalapeno sausage. They are delicious BUT they are full of carbs. Bazillions of them.
Which means that maybe I’ll treat myself once a year. Totally not enough.
I’ve been using a version of the Fathead pizza dough for pizza forever but it’s only been in the past couple of months that I realized that it could be used for pastries, too. I’ve been going through tons of mozzarella trying all kinds of things. Some work and some don’t. This low carb kolache recipe does.
Oh boy, does it ever.
Here’s the deal. Low carb cream cheese kolaches, like the regular version, are at their best when they are fresh out of the oven. They are delicious after they’ve been frozen and warmed up but not quite as good as the fresh ones. I personally don’t care because… kolache. I just don’t want you to freeze them and then get angry with me because they don’t taste exactly the same as the fresh ones. Still yummy but not exactly like the fresh ones, ok?
The dough is sticky but wet your hands often and you’ll do fine.
The following are affiliate links. If you click through and buy something I will get a small commission used for keeping the blog up and running smoothly. Thank you for being a part of Lowcarb-ology!
Silpat or parchment is a must for this recipe. I prefer silpat because it lasts forever and parchment gets expensive. I still have my silpat sheets that I got 7 years ago! We’re talking hundreds of dollars in parchment. Vanilla stevia drops add extra vanilla flavor along with the sweetness. I use it in my coffee, in baking, and on my low carb granola and cashew milk breakfasts!
Low Carb Cream Cheese Kolaches Recipe
Easy Cream Cheese Kolaches
- Add the mozzarella and cream cheese to a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat on high for about 1 1/2 minutes and stir to blend.
- If it's not all the way melted you can microwave it for 30 seconds more.
- Stir in the almond flour, baking powder, egg, vanilla, stevia, and monkfruit.
- Knead the dough in the bowl until all of the ingredients are incorporated. It will seem like the egg will never be mixed in but it will if you keep kneading and squeezing.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces.
- Roll each piece in a ball and place on a silplat lined baking sheet.
- Flatten slightly.
- Create a hollow in the center with your thumbs.
- Sprinkle each center with some of the pecans, fill with cream cheese filling, and sprinkle with a few more of the pecans.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until firm and golden.
- Warm the cream cheese in the microwave until it is soft.
- Beat in the remaining ingredients.
- Use to fill the kolaches