Gooey, cheesy comfort food, this low-carb copycat Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole is just like your favorite dish at Cracker Barrel only this one doesn’t have the carbs! You can make it in just a few minutes in your microwave or bake it so the top gets those crispy bits!
Yes, I know. Here I go again with cauliflower. I can’t help it. Cauliflower is like the low-carber’s bestie. It can be used to make everything from grits to pizza, y’all. It’s gotta be the most versatile veggie on the planet. So, yes. If you are a cauliflower hater then just move along — nothing for you to see here.
Unless you want to give it a try.
I am big on comfort food but too much of the time I make something awesome for the family and then grab a poached egg or something mindless for me because I just don’t have time to take care of myself. I am realizing that not having time to take care of myself is a big issue with me. I need to make time. Well, this recipe makes it easy because I made it right in the microwave. Now, if you want to have the whole experience with the crispy edges and all you can bake it — I’ll give you instructions on how to do that, too. The point is, I try to make low-carbing something that we can do without getting thrown off track by a lot of planning or long prep. If you use the microwave you can be eating this low-carb copycat Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole in less than five minutes, y’all. FIVE.
You can change it up by the type of cheese you use. I used Tillamook Garlic Chile Pepper Chedder and it was amazing! Next time I am going to make it with Pepper-Jack. This is not going to freeze real well but it should keep in the fridge a couple of days. You can even add cooked chicken or ham to make it a main dish!
Low-Carb Copycat Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 ounces sliced cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Chicken Bullion Powder
- 1 tabespoon boiling water.
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 ounces shredded cheddar I used Tillamook Garlic and Chile Pepper Cheddar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Smoked paprika for garnish
- Melt the butter in a heavy frying pan and add the cauliflower and onion.
- Saute until the cauliflower and onion are tender and begins to turn golden brown in spots.
- Spoon into a small, 2 cup size microwave safe or ovenproof casserole dish.
- Mix the chicken bullion powder with the hot water until dissolved.
- Add to the sour cream, 1 1/2 ounces shredded cheddar, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon over the cauliflower and onion mixture and mix well.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Microwave for 3 minutes or until heated through, tender, and melty OR bake for 20 minutes at 375F.
- Sprinkle with the smoked Paprika.
Serve It Right
I have a terrible habit of throwing stuff together if it’s “just for me”. You know what? All food should be pretty! Serve yourself pretty recipes in small casserole dishes like this — you’re worth it! And it stores the leftovers, too! (This is an affiliate link. If you click and buy it helps to support the blog with a small commission — your cost doesn’t change. Thanks so much!)
Corningware French White III Oval Casserole with Glass Cover, 1.5-Quart
If you liked Low-Carb Copycat Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole you may also like…
Zucchini Lasagna Pizza Style Food Faith Fitness
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Kalyn’s Kitchen