Bite into this low carb chicken with its creamy ancho pumpkin Alfredo sauce and you’ll bite into all the flavor of autumn. Spicy, earthy, and rich, this dish is quick and easy, too.
For this recipe you’ll need: dried ancho pepper, avocado or peanut oil, boneless chicken breast, chicken stock, pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling), heavy cream, butter, garlic powder, smoked paprika, rubbed sage, nutmeg, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, hulled pumpkin seeds
If you are in a hurry click here to go straight to the low carb chicken with pumpkin Alfredo recipe.
I like autumn. It shouldn’t be called fall, as far as I’m concerned, because fall seems like a very insipid title for something as glorious and rich as this season. The colors of nature are at their most vivid and the sunlight turns everything warm and golden. Then there’s the scents and flavors like cinnamon, apple, and pumpkin.
Is there anything that says autumn more confidently than pumpkin? I don’t think so.
This low carb chicken recipe would be delicious any time of the year but I think it’s especially perfect for autumn. A creamy pumpkin and ancho Alfredo sauce is spooned over browned chicken breast and then topped with pumpkin seeds and baked. As it bakes the sauce reduces to be even thicker and more flavorful. Smoky, spicy, and definitely pumpkin-y, the sauce envelopes the chicken as it bakes keeping it juicy and delicious. It’s a unique twist on my regular low carb chicken Alfredo.
Serve it with cauli-rice and a salad for a cozy autumn meal that the whole family will love. This one definitely doesn’t taste low carb! If you want to keep it all to yourself you can freeze it in individual portions, too. Keep the sauce from curdling by defrosting in the refrigerator overnight and then heating it up slowly, stirring often.
A lot of low carb chicken recipes end up feeling like I’m eating the same thing, day after day, week after week. This chicken with pumpkin Alfredo is different — definitely restaurant quality but SO EASY! Give it a try and see if you don’t agree.
And, by the way? This low carb pumpkin Alfredo sauce is good on just about anything!
Pretty Little Things
The following are affiliate links. If you click through and buy something I will get a small commission used for keeping the blog up and running smoothly. Thank you for being a part of Lowcarb-ology!
Anchos are in just about every grocery store in my area but if they aren’t in yours you can get them on Amazon. Just be sure to get dried anchos and not another pepper — it will make a difference. You may not think that getting whole nutmeg rather than ground will make that much of a difference but you’d be wrong. It makes a HUGE difference! Y’all know I like Bob’s Red Mill products a lot. These Bob’s Red Mill pumpkin seeds are sourced in the United States (many of them are from China) and organic.
Nutrition Info for This Recipe
Low Carb Chicken with Pumpkin Alfredo Recipe
Low Carb Chicken with Ancho-Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce
- 1 dried ancho pepper seeds and stem removed
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons high smoke point oil avocado oil, peanut oil, etc
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breast cut into 4 portions
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock plus more as needed
- 1 cup pumpkin
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon rubbed sage
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmigiano Reggiano plus some for sprinkling on top of the finished dish
- 1/4 cup hulled pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Cover the ancho pepper with boiling water and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat a heavy iron skillet and add the oil.
- When it is very hot add the chicken and cook just until golden brown on each side.
- Remove the chicken to a greased baking dish.
- Drain the ancho, pour the water out, and add the ancho to the hot pan.
- Saute it for about 1 minute then remove and reserve.
- Add 1 cup of chicken stock and scrape the bottom of the pan with a spatula to remove any pieces of chicken that have stuck.
- Turn heat to low.
- Add the pumpkin, butter, garlic powder, smoked paprika, sage, nutmeg, and cream.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Add more chicken stock as needed to make a smooth, creamy sauce
- Remove 1/2 cup of the sauce and add it to a blender with the ancho chile.
- Blend until smooth and add back into the pumpkin Alfredo sauce.
- Whisk in the Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Spoon the sauce over the chicken.
- Sprinkle with more smoked paprika and the pumpkin seeds.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the internal temperature is 160F.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with additonal Parmigiano Reggiano before serving.
If you liked this low carb chicken with pumpkin Alfredo you may also like…
Click on the image to see the recipe. From left to right: pumpkin cheesecake, “sweet potato” mash, poblano chicken rollups
And these similar low carb recipes from some of my favorite bloggers…
Chicken and Mushrooms with Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo Sauce Peace Love and Lowcarb
Creamy Sun Dried Tomato + Parmesan Chicken Zoodles Cafe Delites