A rum and butterscotch cream pie is definitely a treat anytime but when you can indulge and lose weight? Well now, that’s almost unbelievable. The rich, silky filling is covered with a towering drift of vanilla meringue. Each luxurious bite satisfies the most stubborn sweet tooth.
For this recipe you’ll need: sugar free butterscotch instant pudding, rum, heavy cream, cashew milk, sugar free salted caramel syrup, almond meal, butter, egg whites, sugar free sweetener
If you are in a hurry click here to go straight to the low carb butterscotch cream pie recipe.
My dad used to keep Butter Rum Lifesavers in his pocket at all times. In fact, when I was really little I thought that he had a magic pocket. You know, a pocket that spewed out an endless supply of Lifesavers would be kind of cool to have. Anyway, we spent many hours deep in conversation while Butter Rum Lifesavers melted away in our mouths. Later on my mom started getting the butterscotch disks and he carried them instead. It was the end of an era for me and I never liked those butterscotch disks nearly as much!
At least the conversations were still good.
This rum butterscotch cream pie reminds me of those Butter Rum Lifesavers. It’s rich and creamy with a sweet meringue topping. The crust is a crumbly butter and almond meal mixture that cooks in a minute in the microwave. It’s optional – you’ll save about 2 net carbs if you leave it off.
I use instant pudding a lot. Since I make things in single serving sizes I rarely use an entire package at once. I keep the sugar free pudding mix in covered containers in the pantry, marked with the flavor. That way I can use a teaspoon or whatever as I need to and still have the rest for another day.
With Thanksgiving coming up I thought you’d like a fancy dessert so you didn’t have to fight so hard to stay away from the gooey pecan pie. This individual sized pie looks gorgeous and it truly tastes as good as it looks.
Used in this Recipe
The following are affiliate links. If you click through and buy something I will get a small commission used for keeping the blog up and running smoothly. Thank you for being a part of Lowcarb-ology!
Torani Sugar Free Salted Caramel Syrup adds flavor and sweetness to the filling. The 5-inch tart pans are perfect for one larger size dessert or to split between two people. They’re microwave safe so you’ll be using them as much as I do!
Rum Butterscotch Cream Pie Recipe
Rum Butterscotch Cream Pie
- 1 tablespoon butterscotch pudding + 1 teaspoon sugar-free instant
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup cashew milk
- 1 tablespoon caramel syrup sugar free and salted
- 1 tablespoon rum
- Mix the almond meal, butter, and sugar free sweetener together.
- Add a little water if needed to make it hold together.
- Press in the bottom and up the sides of a single serving sized tart pan.
- Microwave for 1 minute, or until done.
- Set aside to cool.
- Mix the pudding, the cream, and the cashew milk.
- Whip until it begins to thicken.
- Add the caramel syrup and the rum.
- Continue to whip until thick.
- Spoon into pie crust.
- beat the egg whites and cream of tartar together until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add the sweetener and vanilla while continuing to beat to stiff peaks.
- Swirl the meringue over the pudding.
- Brown with a kitchen torch.
- Chill until serving time.
If you liked this low carb, butter rum pie recipe you may also like…
Click on the image to see the recipe. From left to right (all low carb): Sour Cream Lemon Pie, Banana Pudding, Pecan Cheesecake