You don’t really think about cheese sauce having a lot of carbs, do you? Usually it is thickened with some flour and made with milk — those carbs add up pretty quickly. On the other hand, most of the low carb cheese sauces don’t taste cheesy enough and they are often on the grainy side. The trick is to use the extra sharp cheddar, so you get the most flavor for your calories and carbs, and to heat the cream up slowly, add the cheese and whisk it smooth without ever letting it come to a boil.
You shouldn’t plan on warming this up, either. It can get really clumpy and weird textured.
One variation on this that I really love is to add finely chopped jalapenos for a little heat.
Low Carb Broccoli and Creamy Cheese Sauce Recipe (phase 1, induction)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup dark beer
- 1 pound shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Hot sauce to taste
- 2 pounds steamed broccoli
- Heat the cream in a pan until bubble form around the edge. Do not let it boil.
- Whisk in the paprika and mustard.
- Whisk in the cheese until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the beer and simmer, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens.
- Do not overcook.
- Add hot sauce to taste just before serving.
- Spoon over hot broccoli