This keto-friendly, creamy chicken and rice soup recipe is as hearty and satisfying as the real thing but has just a fraction of the carbs. It’s quick and easy, too! Use leftover cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken from the deli to make this an almost instant meal.
For this recipe you’ll need: cooked chicken, chicken stock, raw cauli-rice, half and half cream, butter, garlic, herbes de provence, fresh rosemary
Table of Contents
Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe Backstory
I could eat soup every single day. I love how quick and easy it is and there’s something about a bowl of steaming soup that just welcomes you to the table.
One of my favorite wintertime comfort foods has always been creamy chicken and rice soup. Well, last week it was cold and rainy and I was definitely craving a bowl. I wasn’t totally sold on the idea of using cauli-rice in place of the rice called for in the recipe but I figured that it was better than either blowing my eating plan or going without.
I am really glad I did. Maybe it’s because it looks like my favorite soup, I don’t know, but when it was finished and took that first, rich spoonful my mouth was deceived into thinking it was the real thing – rice and all. The fresh rosemary brings a fresh flavor to this dish that just brings it all together.
Low Carb Chicken and Rice Soup Cook’s Notes
Recipe Rated: Easy
This soup is thickened by blending some of the cooked cauliflower in with the cream. Be sure to simmer the broth until it’s reduced because that will intensify the flavor as well as give it a thicker, creamier texture. Hemp hearts will also help to thicken it and help to give that chewy rice texture as well.
Here’s a refresher on how to make cauli-rice.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator
- Soup does not freeze well
Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup Variations
This recipe is delicious as is but there are some great variations you may want to try.
- Use heavy cream instead of half and half
- Almond milk works in place of the half and half – soup will not be as thick
- Use all chicken stock and don’t blend the cauliflower in for a brothy, traditional chicken and rice soup
- Add some sliced mushrooms
- Use leftover turkey in place of chicken
- Add a pinch of chili powder
- Add chiles
More Low Carb Comfort Food Recipes from Lowcarb-ology
Here are some more great low carb recipes from Lowcarb-ology –
And I love this low carb slow cooker chili from Low Carb Yum!
You May Need…
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
What’s new? A brand new store full of things to help you make the recipes, celebrate the days, and create the memories! Check out Restless Chipotle & Co. As always, thanks so much for being a part of Lowcarb-ology!
Hemp hearts add a chewy, bready texture to recipes. Here the addition mimics rice beautifully! They are really delicious and full of fiber and flavor plus 0 net carbs!
Low Carb Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe
Creamy and satisfying, this low carb creamy chicken and rice soup recipe is super easy! You can make a batch and keep it in the fridge to eat for a couple of days – unlike regular rice soups this chicken and “rice” soup won’t soak up all the broth! It doesn’t freeze well, however, so only make what you’ll eat in a few days.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars.
Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup - Low Carb
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cups cooked chicken diced
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1.5 ounces cauliflower riced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup half and half cream
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts optional
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and saute for about 1 minute.
- Add the cauliflower and continue to saute for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, chicken stock, cream, hemp hearts, and rosemary.
- Simmer until the mixture has reduced and begun to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Strain out about 1/2 of the riced cauliflower and add to a blender.
- Remove about 1/2 cup of the soup mixture, returning the chicken to the simmering soup.
- Blend the cauliflower and cream broth in a blender until smooth.
- Add back to the pot.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat through
- Remove rosemary and discard.
Part of Meal Plan Monday