Think you can’t have your beloved side rolls or biscuits during your favorite meals because you’re on keto? Wrong!
I present to you the most delicious Keto Cheddar Biscuits.
That’s right, I’ve done it. Thank me now because you will come running back to make this recipe again and again! Crisp on the outside, light and fluffy on the inside, these Keto Cheddar Biscuits are the perfect keto dupe for Cheddar Bay Biscuits!!!
Keto cheddar biscuits with almond flour come together in about 10 minutes, bake up for another 10, and on the table ready to serve with your favorite meals. The beauty of these keto biscuits is that they are so good, the whole family will love them. I bet they won’t even realize they are keto if you didn’t tell them!
Pantry and grocery items used to make keto biscuits
- Almond Flour
- Baking Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Cheddar Cheese – use whatever kind of cheddar you like. For a stronger taste, use extra sharp cheddar. For a more mild flavor, use mild cheddar! It can also be purchased in block form and you can shred it yourself, or pre-shredded will work too.
- Cream Cheese
- Large Eggs
- Cream of Tartar
- Unsalted Butter
- Fresh or Dried Chives
If you already make a lot of keto dishes, you should have most of the ingredients on hand already, easy peasy!
You can skip the cream of Tartar, but it helps to keep the egg whites nice and fluffy when folding into the batter. You can also substitute any firm cheese in place of the cheddar. I suggest using Mozzarella, Monterrey Jack, and Colby. Even Pepper Jack will work for an extra spicy kick!
Feel free to get creative! Mix up the cheeses for your own personal cheese blend.
Equipment needed to make keto cheddar biscuits
- Two large glass bowls for making and mixing the dough.
- A hand mixer to whip the egg whites and combine the dough.
- A rubber spatula to fold in the egg whites into the dough.
- Parchment paper, I like to use the unbleached kind.
- Baking sheets
- A cooling wired rack.
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Basting brush for the epic buttery topping.
You can also use a stand mixer, totally up to you. I just prefer a hand mixer!
How to make keto cheddar bay biscuits?
- In a large bowl, add the almond flour and the baking powder and whisk it together.
- Place the cream cheese and most of the shredded cheddar into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Melt the cheeses in the microwave.
- While the cheese is melting, separate the eggs, place the whites in a large bowl that is preferably not plastic, and save the egg yolks for later.
- Whip the egg whites and cream of tartar with a hand mixer to form stiff peaks.
- Place the melted cheese into the bowl with the almond flour.
- Using the hand mixer (no need to clean!), on the medium-speed mix until just combined. Add in the egg yolks and mix to combine.
- Add the egg whites to the bowl and fold in with a rubber spatula. Try to keep as much air as you can in the egg whites, it may take a couple of minutes to mix it well.
- Add some more shredded cheddar and fold it into the mixture, you can also reserve some for a topping later.
- Evenly dollop 10 biscuits about 3-inches apart on your lined baking sheets.
- Optional, top with a little bit more of the shredded cheddar. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- While the biscuits are baking, make the epic garlic butter topping by whisking together the melted butter, garlic powder, and optional chives.
- Slather the hot out of the oven golden brown biscuits with that buttery garlicky goodness.
Tried and True Tips for an easy cooking experience
If you have never made any kind of keto bread before, this is definitely a new experience.
I get it, it sounds weird. But, trust me it works!
The key is all in those egg whites. Make sure they are at stiff peaks. Stiff peaks mean they are whipped long enough that they will stand on their own and not droop. Any pattern made into the egg whites will stay set.
When it comes to the melting of the cheese, easy does it. Make sure to microwave in intervals, this is key. Also, make sure to do this just before adding the cheese into the mix, it will cool down and become tough to incorporate into the dough super quick!
What are keto biscuits?
Keto biscuits are light and airy biscuits made with ingredients that are keto-friendly. These keto biscuits are made with simple ingredients including cheddar cheese, almond flour, eggs, baking powder, and cream cheese.
I made these keto cheddar biscuits extra special by topping them with a mixture of melted butter, garlic powder, and chives to mimic everyone’s favorite non-keto friendly cheddar bay biscuits.
I know you are wondering how I got these keto cheddar biscuits to come out so light and fluffy. Easy! By adding both whipped egg whites and baking powder to the mix. The end result is perfectly fluffy keto biscuits.
How many carbs in keto cheddar biscuits?
For the recipe I am providing for you today, there are 4.6 total net carbs. The whole recipe makes 10 good sized biscuits and they could easily be made half the size if you wanted a smaller carb number.
If you did decide to make these keto cheddar biscuits with almond flour smaller, portion them out into 20 even biscuits.
Then, you will need to cut the baking time down as well. I would start at the 6-minute mark and keep an eye on them.
The keto biscuits are ready when they are golden brown.
How to store keto biscuits?
Store uneaten biscuits in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. I suggest warming them a little in the microwave or oven again before serving.
You can also freeze them! Wrap leftover biscuits in foil, place in a freezer-safe bag, and place in the freezer. Use within 3 months.
I love to serve these keto cheddar biscuits as-is with any meal I’m having. They are also good slathered with more butter. Or, toast in the morning with some more melty cheese and sliced avocado.
More ways to use these keto cheese biscuits in recipes:
- Biscuits and gravy – use it with our Low Carb Cream Gravy!
- This would also go perfectly with our Keto Sloppy Joes! Just slice and pile high with our sloppy joe filling recipe, yum!
Keto Cheddar Biscuits
- Two large glass bowls for making and mixing the dough
- A hand mixer to whip the egg whites and combine the dough
- A rubber spatula to fold in the egg whites into the dough
- Parchment paper, I like to use the unbleached kind
- Baking sheets
- A cooling wired rack
- Cutting board
- Chef's knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Basting brush for the epic buttery topping
- Preheat the oven to 400*F. In a large bowl, add the almond flour and the baking powder and whisk it together, set aside.
- Place the cream cheese and most of the shredded cheddar into a microwave-safe bowl. Reserve about 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese on the side. Place the bowl with the cheeses into the microwave and cook for 30-second intervals, stirring in between until the cheeses are melted together.
- While the cheese is melting, add the separated egg whites to a large bowl. Add the cream of tartar to the egg whites and with a hand mixer (or you can also use a stand mixer for this), whip the egg whites on medium speed until they form stiff peaks. This will take approximately 5 minutes.
- Once the cheese is melted and the egg whites form stiff peaks, place the melted cheese into the bowl with the almond flour. Using the hand mixer on medium speed, mix until just combined. Add in the egg yolks and mix to combine.
- Add the egg whites to the bowl and fold in with a rubber spatula. Take the remaining shredded cheddar and fold it into the mixture. On two parchment-lined baking sheets, evenly dollop 10 biscuits about 3-inches apart. Each biscuit will be just under 1/4 cup of dough. Optional, top with a little bit more of the shredded cheddar. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, add the unsalted butter. Microwave for 15-second intervals until melted. Add the garlic powder and chives (optional). Whisk together. When the biscuits are done baking, immediately brush them with the butter mixture, use it all! Transfer to a wired rack to cool.