These copycat Tagalongs cookies are low carb and gluten free. They’re a lot easier than you might think. Buttery, crumbly shortbread is covered with salty peanut butter, and then the whole thing is swathed in dark chocolate. Totally addictive!
For this recipe you will need: almond flour, butter, erythritol or other sugar free sweetener, white stevia powder, vanilla, butternut flavoring, peanut butter, coconut oil, heavy cream, cocoa, silpat sheet, baking sheet
If you are in a hurry click here to go straight to the recipe.
We do not buy boxes of Girl Scout cookies here at my house. We don’t buy boxes of them because we literally buy them by the case. Sometimes two cases.
I swear those girls get dollar signs in their eyes when they see us coming. It is not unusual for us to buy a couple of cases of Thin Mints and a mixed case of Tagalongs and Samoas. Maybe two. My husband swears that those Girl Scouts look innocent enough but the little bullies violently force him to buy them when he is just minding his own business. With each box being just two servings because of the evaporation factor you can see why we need so many.
You do know about the evaporation factor, right?
When you open one of the sleeves of cookies they immediately begin to evaporate so you might just eat one or two but the whole sleeve will be empty in a matter of minutes. It makes you look bad when someone comes in and you are sitting there with an empty container of cookies… even though you didn’t eat but two.
I know you know what I am talking about.
Well, I know the Thin Mints are the cookie of choice for many people and I like them a lot but for me it’s the Tagalongs all the way. I like the texture changes between the crumbly cookie, the silky peanut butter layer, and the rich chocolate. What I don’t like is the carbs.
Ew. Ew. Ew.
I have made copycat Tagalongs that are low-carb, gluten free, and really do have the flavor and texture of the originals. The chocolate is a bit more intense and darker here but that’s OK – we’re all grown-ups here, right?
The copycat tagalongs are amazing. I promise you, totally amazing. Buttery cookie, silky peanut butter, rich chocolate — and the only things missing are the carbs. The shortbread is an adaption of the shortbread cookie on Low Carb Diet. I like to keep these in the freezer, ready for when I have one of those “OMG I need chocolate and I need it now!!” moments. I’m not the only one that has those, right?
The following are affiliate links. If you click through and buy something I’ll get a small commission that does not affect your cost. Thanks for being a part of Lowcarb-ology!
The following are ingredients I used in these cookies. Some of them can be hard to find locally — thank God for Amazon, right?
CopyCat Tagalong Cookies -LowCarb and Gluten Free
- 16 ounces almond flour
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted
- 1/2 cup erythritol xylitol, or other cup for cup sugar free sweetener
- 1/16 teaspoon stevia powder - white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon butternut flavoring
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup butter unsalted
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/4 cup erythritol
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Lay a sheet of silpat out on the counter to roll the cookies on. You can use waxed paper as well.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the cookie paddle cream the butter, vanilla, stevia, and xylitol (or whichever sweetener)
- Beat in the vanilla.
- Add the almond flour and beat until it comes together to form a dough.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together butter, extract and sweetener.
- Add flour to mixture and continue to mix until dough forms.
- Put half the dough on the silpat, cover with waxed paper and roll out until it is 1/4 - inch thick.
- Remove the waxed paper and cut with a round cutter - I used an empty tomato paste can.
- Pull the dough scraps away from the cookies and put the scraps back into the bowl with the other half of dough.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Allow to cool on pan for at least 5 minutes.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough.
Peanut Butter Layer
- While cookies are still warm spoon on 1/2 teaspoon of peanut butter, smoothing over the top.
- Place in freezer.
- Heat the butter, coconut oil, and heavy cream together until the butter and coconut oil are melted.
- Whisk to blend.
- Whisk in the cocoa, xylitol (or other sweetener) and vanilla until smooth.
- Let cool for several minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the freezer.
- Smooth the peanut butter layer if necessary.
- Spoon the chocolate over the top, covering it completely.
- Chill until set.
- Bring to room temperature before serving but store in the refrigerator or freezer.
If you like these CopyCat Tagalongs Cookies you may also like…
Low Carb Peanut Butter Caramel Shortbread Bars All Day I Dream About Food
Low Carb Snickerdoodles The Low Carb Diet